Thread: Need a heavy-duty Bridge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a heavy-duty Bridge

I am looking for a bridge to move my hydraulic lift across a stairway landing (see photo). The bridge would need to be 42" wide by 14' long, and accommodate a 2600 lb lift plus a person. I have looked at aluminum walkboards, which claim to support 6000 lbs, but no manufacturer so far is willing to commit to using one horizontally, as opposed to diagonally. Not being an engineer, I'm not sure why it won't work, but that's what I'm being told. Most off the shelf units are also designed to hook into a truck doorway, and so would have to be customized to use the way I want. I should note that this is only used for this purpose, and is immediately removed once lighting is done and the lift is parked, so it needs to be easily moved by two people.

Currently I am using a system I inherited that is built of aluminum painter's planks, two wooden support piers in the middle, tubular railings and a couple of C clamps...and pleas to the fates that it holds the weight just one more time. I am, frankly, terrified that the entire thing will one day tumble down the stairs. This is NOT okay.

If anyone has ideas or can point me to a fabricator that can deal with this problem I would sure appreciate it. I have contacted CDS mover's supply and B & P manufacturing (who supplies ramps, etc. to Grainger) so far, and they (and their suppliers) politely declined.

Many thanks!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images